The Colonial AleSmiths and Keggers (CASK)
Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 9:00 AM
St. George Brewing Company, Hampton Virginia
The Tenth Annual Virginia Beer Blitz is a BJCP/AHA Sanctioned
Competition and will be conducted using the 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines, including all 34 beer categories,
4 mead categories, and 2 cider categories.
The On-line Registration System
We are using the same system as last year. If you entered or volunteered last year, your account should still be available.
is available here from
Sunday, December 18, 2016 through Saturday, January 14, 2017.
Once logged-in, please visit the "My Info and Entries" section to indicate if you can judge or steward this year.
Entries for the Tenth Annual Virginia Beer Blitz may be dropped off at the following
locations statrting on Monday, December 26, 2016.
All entries must be registered and physically received at one of the dropoff locations
by the close of business (COB) on Saturday, January 14, 2017 in order to be eligible for judging.
Always verify the COB with the dropoff location before dropping off your entries.
Please feel free to contact any of these persons directly with any questions you may have and they will return your e-mail as soon as possible.
Entries will be accepted in ALL of the 2015 BJCP categories, including Mead and Cider.
Only one entry per subcategory will be accepted (except for categories 29 (Fruit Beer) & 34 (Specialty Beer)
where multiple entries will be accepted from the same brewer).
View the BJCP Style Guidelines.
Entry Deadline and Registration
On-line Registration will begin Sunday, December 18, 2016 and end Saturday, January 14, 2017.
All entries must be physically received by Saturday, January 14, 2017 in order to be eligible for judging.
The entry fee is $7 per entry. There is no limit on total entries or entries per category; however only 1 entry permitted per subcategory per brewer
(except for categories 29 & 34 where multiple entries will be accepted from the same brewer).
- Each bottle must be plain glass, brown or green, up to 12 ounces in volume only, and crown capped. Bottles larger than
12 ounces will not be accepted. This means that 16 ounce, 22 ounce and 750ml bottles will NOT be accepted anymore for this event.
- Bottles and caps must be free of anything which is sufficiently unique that it could identify a brewer to a judge.
This may include labels, unique bottle shapes or the like (NOTE: Raised lettering commercial beer bottles ARE permitted).
- No swing-top bottles are allowed. Bottle caps should have any distinguishing marks completely blacked out.
- Bottles not meeting these guidelines will be disqualified, and ineligible for award. (They may be judged at the discretion
of the competition organizers.)
- Reusable containers, including "Carbonator" type devices CAN NOT be returned.
- Entries must consist of two (2) bottles, each with a completed bottle ID form attached by a rubber band.
Please use the computer generated bottle ID tags created by the online registration system.
A third bottle may be submitted, if desired.
- All entries submitted become the sole property of Colonial AleSmiths and Keggers (CASK).
- No bottles or shipping materials will be returned, even if the entries are disqualified and not judged.
- It is the solely up to the discretion of the Competition Organizer and CASK if disqualified entry fees will be reimbursed.
Judging & Stewarding
Please plan on registering to Judge or Steward, if you will be able to join us for the competition.
Judging will take place at St. George Brewing Company in Hampton, VA at 9:00AM. Every effort will be made to have all entries
judged by qualified participants in the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP). St. George Brewing Company is located at
204 Challenger Way Hampton, VA 23666.
Map to St. George Brewing Company
- Apprentice judges are welcome and encouraged to judge. Apprentice judges will be paired with experienced judges.
- Judges and Stewards will be our guests for a light breakfast before the competition and lunch between flights during the competition.
- Judges and stewards are expected to arrive NO LATER THAN 8:30AM.
- Out-of-town judges that are in need of overnight accommodations, please relay such to the Organizer or Judge Director,
as local homebrew Club members may be able to assist with overnight lodging.
- The organizer reserves the right to condense categories if insufficient entries are received in a particular category.
- Conversely, categories in which a large number of entries are received in each of several subcategories may be expanded
to include multiple tables, or pre-judged as appropriate to ensure adequate time is allowed for completion of the event on the
scheduled date. In this circumstance, it is guaranteed that all entries WILL still be judged by registered judges for this competition.
- All efforts will be made to ensure your score sheets are mailed out to entrants within 72 hours following the competition.
- All judging & stewarding points will be filed with the BJCP by the Organizer within 72 hours following the competition
(Note that the BJCP will record the points according to their regular update schedule).
1st, 2nd & 3rd place beers in each category will receive a ribbon (or medal) and other prizes.
The Best-of-Show beer will be awarded an award plaque and prizes.
The Blitzkrieg Award
Again this year, the Virginia Beer Blitz will feature the “Blitzkrieg Award” which will be awarded to the HOMEBREW CLUB which
accumulates the most points during the Beer Blitz. The points
will be awarded based upon 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place finishes at any
first-round table and based on the following points scale:
The Homebrew Club which accumulates the most points throughout the
competition will be declared the winner and will receive a very special
prize for their Club to enjoy (in addition to claiming bragging rights for the next year).
- 1st Place in category: 5 points
- 2nd Place in category: 3 points
- 3rd Place in category: 1 point
In the case of a tie, the results from the "Best of Show" round will be included in the total using the same
point scale as the for the first-round tables. If an additional tie-breaker is needed, the total number of 1st Place
winners for each club will be used.